Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Book Report

Fever 1793
The book Fever 1793 had a plot line that made the book interesting. The book had a continuing plot of action, and suspense to help me keep reading. When Mattie’s mother suddenly turned ill, nobody though that it was yellow fever but I know she had gotten sick. The book reminded me of a guessing game. I had to guess what would happen next. Most of the time the book tricked me into thinking something would happen but really the total opposite would be the outcome. The book takes place in the late 1700s; I was hard for me to remember that it was that long ago and there were no modern day objects. The book helped tell the story of how yellow fever really happened. Even though this book is fiction, it helped show how the epidemic really was played out. People today think that it wasn’t an important matter, but back then there was no medicine to treat people and the doctors did not know how to handle a sick person without making them more sick. For example, in the 1700s and 1800s, a way to get ride of a disease was to bleed someone. Doctors though that was the answer, but truly that would only make someone more weak. Long ago people did not how to address a sickness or disease. I learned that today, we are lucky to have good medical help and assistance for diseases and sicknesses.
In the book, yellow fever is mostly what holds the plotline together. With the intro starting with a young girl named Mattie and a coffee shop full of dreams. When the epidemic happens that’s what helps show the disaster of it all. The book made me sad because often in the book, Mattie (the narrator) would describe the streets filled with dead bodies stained with yellow. Yellow fever was a disease that was almost incurable in the 1700s. The book helps inform people of the dilemma they never had to go through. The book helped me see how lucky I am to live in the modern world.
When I was reading this book, there was always a lot to follow. There would be a nice setting then all of a sudden the setting would be like an ocean filled with fifty foot waves. There was a lot to take in while reading. You had to read carefully to catch all the information. When Mattie and her grandfather where coming back from the camp, everything seemed like it would go better. While they were sleeping burglars broke into the house and tried to steal Mattie’s family’s valuables. Soon after the fight, her grandfather dies. The plot would soon change into something else. The way the book was planned out, made the book have a more entertaining story. With the suspense placed through out the book, to me, that helps keep my attention. Even though it was a sad book, the rising plot helped support the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment